Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Famous Portraits

Richard Avion
Roberto Lopez, 1980

What I'm really drawn to about this portrait is the expression on the person's face. One can tell just looking at the photo even briefly that he is hardworking and tired; there is dirt on his face and his hair is messy probably due to the wind as he is doing physical labor in the fields. I also really like how his eyes are toward the camera but looking down a little bit. Because of this slight action, I now am curious as to what he is looking at or thinking about. 



Arnold Newman
Jean Dubuffet, 1956

The thing that interests me most about this photograph is simply that I've been looking at it for a couple minutes just trying to figure out what Newman is trying to get across. At first, I was contemplating what the black is that outlines the face of the man. When I look at the photograph with a little distance, I see the profile of an ape as the black image. I wonder if Newman was trying to make a connection between the human and the ape. 



Annie Leibovitz
Obama Family Portrait

This portrait of Obama and his family is beautiful. I really love the way Annie Leibovitz positioned the people. Because Obama is leaning down and kissing the head of one of his girls as his body wraps around both of them, it shows he is fully invested into his children. His wife is connected to the family in this picture mostly because her arm positioned against the grass in the same location as Obama's right arm; it is assumed that they are holding hands and are simply a loving family. 





No comments:

Post a Comment